Aquia Episcopal Church
2938 Jefferson Davis Hwy.
Just off the Interstate and U.S. Route 1 in Aquia is the Historic Aquia Episcopal Church. Aquia Church is an extremely well preserved colonial church. Built in 1757, the inside of the church holds the original three tiered pulpit. Behind the church is the historic Aquia Church Cemetery. Some think that the cemetery is haunted.Many stories float around about these hauntings.
Faith Baptist Church
4105 Plank Road
Check out their website for upcoming event listings. Our purpose as a Church is to work together to fulfill the Great Commission of Christ. We strive to win people to the Lord, bring them into the fellowship of the church through baptism, and teach them all that Christ has commanded. We endeavor to gather faithfully for worship, prayer, fellowship, Bible teaching and a united testimony. We seek to balance a genuine zeal for evangelism with a ministry of building up Christians through the Word. The focus of our services is bringing glory to God through music and preaching that strengthen the believer’s spiritual walk and knowledge of the Scriptures. We believe that God’s Word provides practical answers to the tough questions of life in the 21st century. Join us as we explore God’s truth together.
Fredericksburg Baptist Church
1019 Princess Anne St., Fredericksburg
The Fredericksburg Baptist Church is the second largest church building in Fredericksburg. During the Civil War, the building suffered extensive damage from artillery. Like many area churches, the pews were torn out and the sanctuary later used as a Federal field hospital. The building remains much the way it did after it was repaired from the war damage. The church is open to the public daily and offers many functions that all is welcome.
Fredericksburg Presbyterian Church
300 George St. at Princess Anne, Fredericksburg
The present Greek Revival style structure was erected in 1833 and is 1 of the 2 oldest churches in the town of Fredericksburg. During the Civil War, the church was severely damaged, the church bell was given to the Confederacy to be melted down for cannons.
Fredericksburg United Methodist Church
308 Hanover St., Fredericksburg
The Fredericksburg United Methodist Church was built in 1882 as the Fredericksburg Methodist Episcopal Church. The United Methodist Church was established in Fredericksburg in 1802 and was original located on George Street. In 1841 the congregation built a new church on the site of the current building which was destroyed during the Civil War in 1862.
5101 Massaponax Church Rd., Spotsylvania
Massaponax Church was founded in 1788 and the church building was built in 1859. The original church was only the front portion of today’s church building. During the Civil War, the church was used as a Head Quarters for both Armies, a hospital for the wounded and a stable. One unique characteristic of the church is the writings on the wall.
Old Salem Church
Plank Rd., Fredericksburg
Old Salem Church is tucked away from the hustle and bustle of Route 3 traffic. The church was built in 1844. On May 3, 1863, Union and Confederate troops fought a bitter day long battle on a slight ridgeline a few miles west of Fredericksburg. The church is open on summer weekend afternoons.Church volunteers will tell you the history of the church. The church is also open for a Christmas service in December.
Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site)
801 Sophia St., Fredericksburg
In the mid 1800’s Shiloh Baptist was sold to it’s all black congregation for a sum of $500. Over the years the church grew, and had several name changes. Today there are several Shiloh Baptist churches in the Fredericksburg area. During the Civil War, the original Shiloh Church served as a hospital for Union soldiers.
St. George’s Episcopal Church
905 Princess Anne and George Sts., Fredericksburg
The original church was built by Colonel Henry Willis in 1732. The current Roman Revival style structure was built in 1849. This is the third church built on this site. The first church on this site was built in 1732 and made of wood, the second church on this site was built in 1814-16. The bell was reportedly given in 1751 by Colonel John Spotswood, son of the Colonial Governor.
Carter St. Falmouth
The original church was built in 1750 and was in the shape of a cross (similar to Aquia Church) . Some time around 1796, the church was abandoned and was destroyed by fire in 1818. The present brick church was built sometime around 1820. The new building was used by Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Baptist, and Methodist congregations on rotating Sundays. This church remained in use until 1950, when a violent storm destroyed all but the facade. All that stands today is the front of the church and the belfry (with bell intact) . During the Civil War, the church was used as a hospital by Federal troops.
Zion United Methodist Church
8700 Courthouse Rd., Spotsylvania
The Zion Church was built in 1859 as Liberty Methodist Episcopal Church, South. During the Civil War the church changed it’s name to Zion Methodist Episcopal Church. The church also served as a hospital. Rumors say that stains on the balcony were blood from the soldiers. Today the building remains much the same as it did when it was built.